Our Pre-Kindergarten program is especially designed for your 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 year old(s) taught by our AMI Montessori teacher, Miss Sandy. She has been teaching this class for over 20 years. The program helps them to master their interest in math, reading and writing before they move into American Montessori Kindergarten Program. A typical Pre-Kindergarten day consists of work and play. Play can be indoor/outdoor/or going to the park and is done early morning, before lunch and after afternoon snack.
Listed below are examples of the lessons that are taught:
- Math / Numbers with quantities up to 1000, decimal system, fractions, addition, subtraction, multiplication and division with 1, 2, 3 digits
- Reading, phonetic reading, building words and sentences
- Sounds, letters, letterbox, Phonetic words, flash cards, reading books
- Grammar, punctuation, sentence structure
- Story building and creative writing
- Writing upper and lower case letters of the alphabet and numbers 1 – 1000
- Spelling, word lists, word building
- Spanish – alphabet, colors, numbers, shapes, animals, conversational Spanish
- Science – human body, animal and plant classifications, etc.
- Geography – countries, land formations, continents, oceans, states, flags
- People around the world, habitats and holiday celebrations
- Reading time and counting money
- Art – painting, collage, drawing, printing, molding, etc.
- Sign Language – basic signing, alphabet, numbers and songs
- Independence – we encourage self independence
- Social Skills – building relationships with other children and teachers
- Patience – we learn patience through many activities
- Concentration – is built in working with all Montessori activities
- Help them grow and become active explorers
Work time is used for learning and exploring the different activities within the prepared environment which includes Exercise of Practical Life, Sensorial, Math, Language, Writing, Science, Art, Story time, Music & Movement, Geography and Spanish.